6 Steps to Become a SAMURAI in Japanese 【Part 2】
Thank you for reading the last entry about how to make an affirmative sentence like a Japanese samurai. Now then, let’s learn how to make question sentences and an exclamatory sentence.
Like I said, this lesson is the successor of the last one. I will start this lesson on the condition that you already read part one.
Before you make some interrogative sentences like a samurai, I’ll give you some glossary.
- おぬし/onushi・・・It’s the way samurai say, “you”. In Japanese there are many expressions about “you” depending on the talkers, and it is おぬし
- どの/dono・・・It’s the way samurai say, “Mr/Ms”. In Japanese there are suffixes placed after the name to express honor toward the person you’re talking with. In most cases it is “san” or “sama”, but for samurai it is どの/dono.
Here is the formula for an interrogative samurai sentence
(onushi)+ regular Japanese sentence* + de-gozaru +ka?
*this type of japanese is not considered a polite sentence, so you don’t need to add です/ます at the end of the sentence.
あなたはアメリカ人? is おぬしはアメリカ人でござるか？ Meaning, “Are you American?” サラさんはカナダ人 is サラどのはカナダ人でござるか? Meaning, Is Sara Canadian?
Samurai are also moved and touched by something. I don’t know what the something is, so please ask the samurai around you. But I’ll tell you how to make a samurai exclamatory sentence.
Here is the formula of a samurai exclamatory sentence
regular Japanese sentence* + de-gozaru +ka
*this type of japanese is not considered a polite sentence, so you don’t need to add です/ます in the end of the sentence.
I think maybe you are amazed because it is so easy. Just remove question mark from the samurai interrogative sentence above. So it is like…
What a beautiful flower it is! : なんて美しい花でござるか!
What a beautiful flower it is… : なんて美しい花でござるか・・・。
See? It’s so easy isn’t it? If you write it in regular Japanese, it is なんて美しい花なんだ!/なんて美しい花なんだ…
Here are the example sentences of samurai Japanese.
- general elephant seal A: 俺、最近カメラにハマってる。ほら。(I am really into taking pictures recently.Here you are. )
- samurai elephant seal A: 拙者、最近カメラにハマってるでござる。ほら。(I am really into taking pictures recently degozaru.Here you are. )
- general elephant seal B: こ、これはジェシカちゃん！なんて非常識な写真なんだ!(what…this is Jessica…What an insane picture it is!)
- samurai elephant seal B: こ、これはジェシカどの！なんて非常識な写真でござるか!(what…this is Jessica…What an insane picture it is degozaruka!)
- general elephant seal A: なんでそんなに驚いているんだ?(Why are you so surprised?)
- samurai elephant seal A: なんでそんなに驚いているんでござるか?(Why are you so surprised degozaruka?)
- general elephant seal B: だってこれは、ヌード写真！(Because this is a naked picture! )
- samurai elephant seal B: だってこれは、ヌード写真でござる!(Because this is a naked picture degozaru! )
Thank you for getting interested in learning about samurai Japanese. I know the samurai culture attracts a lot of people but there are few resources to learn samurai Japanese. So I wanted to help you degozaru.
After samurai saves normal people, he is asked his name, but he just says “My name? There is no value to let you know de-gozaru”, and samurai leaves without getting any reward.
That’s so cool.
Thank you for reading this entry, and I hope I could help you a lot.
You wanna know?
Taka, I am from Aquarium.com Please donate! lol
Taka, Aquarium manager