6 Steps to Become SAMURAI in Japanese 【Part 1】
Samurai…It’s a topic which attracts a ton of people. Some people start learning Japanese because they are interested in Samurai, or samurai culture…or wanna be a samurai. You can become closer to samurai through this lesson.
You will master Samurai Japanese through this lesson. But before watching this super amazing valuable video, think about what is it like to become samurai? Samurai is a noble and respected warrior hundreds years ago. Don’t misuse this knowledge, and don’t pretend it with fun. Are you ready to become a samurai?
K! You seem to be okay! Let’s get started!
Samurai use their own expression. Let’s learn samurai vocabulary and formula.
- 拙者(せっしゃ)/sessha・・・ It means “watashi”, meaning “I”. Samurai use “Sessha” instead of saying “watashi”, “ore”, “boku” etc… Samurai always use “sessha” to refer to the party: “I”.
- でござる/de-gozaru・・・Add “de-gozaru” at the end of the regular sentence, not polite sentence; です/ます。
I’ll share the samurai Japanese formula in order to understand it easily.
regular Japanese sentence* + de-gozaru
*the japanese is not polite sentence, so you don’t need to add です/ます at the end of the sentence.
おれ、お腹がすいた。 is 拙者、お腹がすいたでござる。, meaning “I’m hungry.” 私は日本語を勉強している。 is 拙者、日本語を勉強しているでござる。, meaning “I’m studying Japanese.” If the sentence doesn’t have “I”, then, all you have to do is just put “de-gozaru” at the end of the sentence.”アメリカを再びグレイトにする is アメリカを再びグレイトにするでござる。, meaning “Make America great again.”
Make sure that the regular sentence is not polite sentence, so you don’t need to use desu/masu for making samurai sentence.
Here are the example sentences of samurai Japanese.
- general elephant seal A: 腹が痛い。(I have a stomachache)
- samurai elephant seal A: 腹が痛いでござる。(I have a stomachache de-gozaru)
- general elephant seal B: 俺の家に薬がある。持ってくる。(I’ll bring the medicine from my home)
- samurai elephant seal B: 拙者の家に薬があるでござる。持ってくるでござる。。(I’ll bring the medicine from my home de-gozaru)
- general elephant seal B: 待て、お前の家ものはもう食べたくない・・・。(Wait, I don’t wanna eat anything from your home anymore)
- samurai elephant seal B: 待て、おぬしの家ものはもう食べたくないでござる・・・。(Wait, I don’t wanna eat anything from your home anymore de-gozaru)
I’ll explain how to say “you” in samurai Japanese in the next entry so please look forward to it!
It is samurai spirit.
Even if you can manipulate samurai expression very well, it’s not enough. Why don’t you try to learn samurai spirit?
I will show you 2 famous books about samurai philosophy.
Read “Gorin no sho” written by Musashi Miyamoto, and “Bushi-do” They wrote about the samurai philosophy in the book.
The image of samurai is cool because they are warriors, have swords/katana but real samurai have a sophisticated philosophy.
With this meaning, there are many samurai not only Japan, but also in your country.
Taka, Aquarium manager